Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Commitment... And Everything That Goes With It

Photo Credit: Chicoine Photography & Design
Anniversaries inspire reflection for me.  I sit and reflect on the many blessings in my life and I think about how different my life would have been if I had not married M.  He is truly my perfect counterpart and I could not have asked for a better husband. 

Commitment is a common theme in books, videos and song lyrics - whether it's securing commitment, seeking commitment, or the breach of commitment - it's everywhere!


So, what does commitment mean to me?  The good ol' Websters dictionary defines commit this way: "To carry into action deliberately."  That's deep!

When the Hubby and I were planning our wedding, we had a long talk about commitment and what it meant to us as a couple.  We decided together that we wanted a God-honoring marriage that was an example of the relationship between God and the body of believers (Ephesians 5:23-32).

God is committed to His believers - when I began my relationship with God over 15 years ago, I deliberately chose to entrust my life and future to Him and He promised me (as He does all believers) that he would never leave me (Hebrews 13:5b), or force me out (John 6:37b).  I believe, like Paul wrote in Romans 8:35-39, that nothing can separate me from God's love because I belong to Him and nothing can "pluck me out of His hand" (John 10:26-30).  That's an incredibly deep commitment.


Photo Credit: Robert Chicoine Photography
 In light of the commitment between God and believers, M and I committed ourselves  to each other on our wedding day.  That is, we chose to carry our love into action deliberately.  And we continue to commit ourselves to each other and our marriage every day.

Commitment is the glue that bonds us together even when things happen - tough times, grad school, busy-ness, financial troubles, etc.  Do you see what's missing in the definition of commitment?  There's no mention of, "when I feel like it" or "when circumstances allow it" or "when things are going well".  Commitment is the reason I scratch his back, cook his favorite meals, and apologize after a fight - even when I don't feel like it.  Commitment is the reason he works hard to provide for me and plans a special date night for us once a month, even when he's tired or doesn't feel creative. 

A good marriage - a strong marriage - is worth investing in!  I want that.  We want that.  And we've deliberately chosen to invest in our marriage relationship.

First, are you someone 'who's playin' for keeps'?  Are you in a relationship with someone 'who's playin' for keeps'?  And more importantly, are you willing to commit to making your relationship not only work, but thrive?

2 comments:

  1. Raye,

    What a beautiful post -- I am happily following your blog!! Keep up the good work! And the commitment! Beka's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post! Is it possibly inspired by your upcoming anniversary? :) Seriously, though, that's a fantastic definition of commitment. Thanks for inspiring me tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...